Get Back from Injury Faster with Tendoforte Collagen
By Harriet Walker, Accredited Practicing Dietician and Accredited Sports Dietitian
When it comes to time off the field, soft tissue injuries are one of the biggest issues for athletes. We spend a lot of time thinking about recovery for muscles, but what about the recovery and development of the connective tissues which transfer the force developed by the muscles?
While prevention is better than cure if you are injured, could supplements help speed up the process? In short, yes. And one of the most exciting collagen supplements in the recovery realm is Tendoforte collagen and exclusive to Body Science in Australia.
How does Tendoforte work?
Ligaments and tendons are two types of connective tissue that holds our body together and facilitates movement. These tissues are predominantly made up from collagen which is a type of protein. Collagen is one of the most abundant proteins in the body and while we can generate and regenerate these connective tissues, as we age (beyond 25 years) and with overuse, rates of renewal slow down or can be impaired. This is when supplementation can help not only heal existing injuries but contribute to the slowing of the aging process.
Collagen tissue is made up of lots of tightly packed and twisted collagen strands and unlike muscle tissue, does not have a blood supply through which to easily supply nutrients for repair. This is one of the reasons supplementation beyond what is consumed in a regular diet can help. Supplementing with Tendoforte collagen provides more of the specific building blocks for repair and can also stimulate the regeneration pathways for connective tissues. When taken in combination with prescribed loading movements which involve the injured tissue, the extra collagen is able to be absorbed more readily like a sponge bathed in water, at the site of injury enhancing repair.
- Not all collagen supplements are equal. Tendoforte collagen has been clinically proven to enhance the repair of injured tissues in combination with rehabilitation exercises.
- Tendoforte has been the supplement of choice for a number of groundbreaking research studies involving collagen supplementation for injury repair.
- Tendoforte contains bioactive peptides which have been specifically isolated for the repair of Type II collagen-based tissues such as tendons and ligaments.
Tendoforte has been formulated to optimise stimulation of collagen biosynthesis accelerating tissue repair.
- The BSc Regenerate is the only collagen supplement to use Tendoforte collagen peptides in Australia.
- BSC Regenerate includes 50mg of vitamin C to enhance collagen synthesis when time is critical.
Tendoforte has been clinically tested- not all collagen can guarantee these results
Research to date has been really promising regarding supplementation with collagen, and more specifically, collagen supplementation for tendon injuries. But it is important to point out that not all collagen supplements are created equally. Because collagen has received so much positive press in recent years, it has been added to many ‘health’ products, however, very commonly these doses are not significant enough for accelerating injury recovery or promoting optimal tissue regeneration.
When injury prevention and the recovery rate are the focus, it is paramount to use a collagen supplement which is specific to the tissue and provides in a therapeutic dose. There are over 16 types of collagen proteins varieties found in the body, so it is not only important to supplement with the relevant type for your specific goal, but also to make sure you are taking a clinical dose of high-quality collagen such as Tendoforte.
Dose and timing for Tendoforte
Research using Tendoforte has shown that doses of between 5-15g timed around loading exercises or specific rehabilitation programs promote enhanced repair.
- Low dose for prevention and repair: 5g daily.
- High dose for injury: 10-15g across the rehabilitation period.
So, if you are an athlete looking to get back from injury faster, or anyone looking to manage wear and tear from daily exercise, supplementation with Tendoforte collagen just might be the game changer you have been looking for.
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body making up structural proteins such as skin, hair, ligaments and tendons.
Why is collagen important?
- There are approximately 16 different ‘types’ of collagen with slightly different components, but they all make up a triple helix shape, like three pieces of string twisted together. Type I, II and III collagens make up the majority of connective tissues in the body. As we age, the collagen content of our skin and joints declines, so supplementing with collagen can help slow this process and help repair damaged tissue.
Collagen for skin
Collagen makes up about 75% of the weight of your skin. As we age, the level of collagen in your skin declines leading to the signs of aging such as wrinkles. Supplementation can help improve skin elasticity, hydration and wrinkling.
How does collagen differ from other protein supplements like whey?
Different tissues in the body have different amino acids that make them. Collagen is made up mostly of three amino acids glycine, hydroxyproline and proline, whereas muscle is made up from different amino acids including the branched-chain amino acids leucine, isoleucine and valine.