BITING INTO BEAUTY
Tatiana Marinho - Body Science Athlete
Practising Nutritionist | B.P.H. Nutrition | Master of Nutrition & Dietetics | Master of Public Health.
We all know regular exercise, healthy sleep patterns and a balanced diet are crucial to maintain overall wellbeing and, consequently, natural beauty. So here are some top nutrition tips that will help you glow from the inside out.
We all understand the importance of staying hydrated to some extent. We understand that at least 60% of the human body is water and that is why hydration is so important to maintain healthy bodily functions. We also know that even mild dehydration can affect your mental and physical performance. But what does hydration have to do with beauty?
Maintaining adequate hydration levels has been shown to improve the hydration of skin cells at a cellular level. That is if you stay hydrated, so will your skin cells, which will improve skin appearance and elasticity. Staying hydrated also improves gut health, prevents and relieves constipation. Maintaining good gut health has been shown to better skin, control blood sugar levels and assist with weight management. Finally, staying hydrated can also assist with weight loss. Drinking water has been shown to increase satiety and boost your metabolism.
- Always have a bottle of water close by to help increase water intake.
- Herbal, natural and unsweetened teas are also a great way to increase water intake and will add some helpful functional compounds to your diet, such as antioxidants.
- Green Tea TX100 will add delicious flavour to your water and help increase water consumption. It also contains powerful antioxidants, probiotics and natural stimulants.
Gut health has been found to be the centre of our overall health. Good gut health is associated with improved energy levels, mood, sleep, immune system and hormonal balance. Most importantly, balanced gut flora is crucial at controlling blood sugars levels and hunger throughout the day. All these factors affect weight management, skin health and overall wellbeing.
- Add probiotics to your daily routine. Probiotics are live (good) bacteria that will help improve your gut flora.
- Add prebiotics to your diet. Prebiotics are fibres that work as food to your good gut bacteria and will also improve gut health.
- Reduce the consumption of pro-inflammatory foods that will increase metabolic stress in your body and affect your gut health. These foods include processed flours, sugars and oils, deep-fried foods, high cholesterol foods and alcohol.
Increasing your protein intake can help in many ways. High protein intake will increase satiety, help control hunger and control blood sugar levels. When looking for nutrients that will assist with weight management, protein will be your best friend. Protein also supplies our body with important amino acids that are required to form keratin, one of the structural proteins in our skin, hair and nails. Thus, consuming enough protein is crucial when trying to nourish your body from the inside out.
- Consume at least 20g of protein per meal.
- Protein powders can be a convenient way to increase your protein intake throughout the day.
- Go for high protein snacks.
- Add a protein powder to your porridge or overnight oats every morning. This is a great way to have a high protein breakfast, increase overall protein intake and keep you fuller for longer.
We all know consuming collagen supplements can improve skin health. Collagen supplements can also improve skin, hair, nail, joints, ligaments and tendon health, which can improve physical activity and overall wellbeing. Collagen supplementation can increase muscle mass, which will improve body composition and increase your metabolism. Finally, it has been found that collagen supplementation can reduce insulin spikes and help control blood sugar levels throughout the day.
- Include a good quality Collagen supplement to your nutrition routine.
- Increase your Vitamin C intake. Vitamin C helps the body form collagen and increases the levels of hyaluronic acid in the body.
Fruits and Veggies
By increasing fruit and vegetable consumption you will tick a lot of the boxes mentioned above. Fruits and veggies contain a high percentage of water and will help you stay hydrated. They also contain natural fibres that will improve gut health and help control hunger. Fruits and veggies also contain important vitamins and minerals that help improve skin, nails and hair health. Finally, they contain many different types of functional nutrients such as antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds that will improve gut health, reduce metabolic stress and assist with hormonal balance.
- Add fruits and veggies to smoothies and protein shakes.
- Soups are a great low-calorie alternative for lunch and dinner and will help increase vegetable and water intake. Please note: make soups from scratch with fresh vegetables, herbs and spices, this will increase its’ nutritional value.
- Add Clean Greens to your morning routine. This will guarantee adequate fruit and veggie intake regardless of how busy you get. Clean Greens also contains prebiotics, probiotics and 78 other highly nutritious ingredients that will help you tick off many of the boxes mentioned above.